In Syria over 90 civilians killed and hundreds at risk as Afrin offensive escalates

February 28, 2018 HUMAN RIGHTS , Middle East , News , OPINION/NEWS

Reuters photo

 

By

Amnesty International

 

 

Scores of civilians have been killed in the Syrian towns of Afrin and Azaz in recent weeks following indiscriminate attacks by the Turkish military and Kurdish forces, according to eyewitness testimonies obtained and verified by human rights NGO Amnesty International.

Amnesty interviewed 15 people living in – or recently displaced from – the northern Aleppo area who painted a grim picture of shelling allegedly carried out by both sides.

Amnesty’s Digital Verification Corps were able to corroborate many of these claims by video analysis.

 

Lynn Maalouf, Amnesty International’s Middle East research director, said:

“The fighting in Afrin between Turkish and US-backed Kurdish forces has already caused numerous civilian deaths and is putting the lives of hundreds more at risk.

“Reports of shelling of villages and residential areas in cities are deeply troubling. The use of artillery and other imprecise explosive weapons in civilian areas is prohibited by international humanitarian law and all parties should cease such attacks immediately.”

Between 22 January and 21 February, the Kurdish Red Crescent reported that 93 civilians were killed, including 24 children, in attacks by the Turkish military. A further 313 civilians were wounded, including 51 children.

 

Meanwhile, Kurdish YPG forces’ shelling in Azaz has allegedly killed four people, including a nine-year-old girl.

Amnesty’s analysis is consistent with some of the testimonies received from local residents, including an attack on 18 January on a hospital in Azaz that reportedly killed one patient and injured 13.

Violence in the region escalated after the Turkish government announced on 20 January the start of a military offensive, codenamed ‘Olive Branch’, against Afrin, attacking it from several fronts, including the villages of Jenderess, Shara, Balbali, Shih, Rajo and Al-Shahba.

 

 

Reported attacks by Turkish forces

 

People living in the Afrin villages of Jenderess, Rajo and Maabatli described how they were subjected to hours of indiscriminate shelling, even after Turkish forces promised to ensure civilian protection. Some fled their houses and saw their neighbours being killed.

Zeina, a resident of Jenderess which is approximately four miles from the Turkish border, told Amnesty:

“At the beginning, we were relieved when we heard and saw a statement by the Turkish government on TV claiming that they will not shell civilian areas… But it was all a lie. I have never seen shelling like that, the bombs were pouring on us like rain.”

Sido, a resident of Maabatli, described how a shell hit his neighbour’s house on 25 January, killing five out of six family members.

He said: “The attack destroyed the house completely, killing the father, mother and three children younger than 15, and a fourth child – a girl – stayed under the rubble for several hours. She survived but is in critical condition. There are no military headquarters next to the house. The closest frontline is 25 miles away at the border.”

Amnesty was able to independently confirm this deadly attack in Maabatli.

Hussein, a resident of Jenderess, saw his neighbour killed by shells which residents believed were fired by Turkish artillery on 21 January. He said: “We were having breakfast around 8am when we heard explosions… we packed what we could carry and fled to a basement around 200 metres from our house.

“On the way, we saw Fatme, our 60-year-old neighbour. My mother told her to come with us, but she replied that she would follow us. As soon as we arrived, we heard a huge explosion. I went outside and walked towards the smoke because I feared that my house had been hit. I arrived and saw that a shell had landed around 50 metres from my house. The shell landed on Fatme’s house…She died instantly.”

Most people had been unprepared for the onslaught on residential areas and had to scramble into crowded basements with no time to stock up on food or water.

 

 

Reported attacks by YPG forces

 

Azaz residents described to Amnesty indiscriminate attacks allegedly by Kurdish forces, which struck homes and hospitals. According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Syrian Democratic Forces allied to YPG fighters have carried out a series of attacks on the city since mid-January.

Mustafa, a media activist from Azaz, told Amnesty he witnessed the aftermath of an attack on 5 February in which a child was killed and five family members were injured.

He said: “The shelling of Azaz by the Kurds started with the ‘Olive Branch’ operation in January. The shelling has been daily with recent targeting of civilians in the centre of Azaz. None of the military points were targeted. Civilians have been the main target. We haven’t had any military presence in the residential areas in Azaz for years now.

“On 5 February, I witnessed the worst attack. A car was hit by a rocket launched by the PKK [referring to YPG forces]. A nine-year-old girl was killed immediately and five of her family members were severely injured. They were transferred to Turkey. I don’t know how they survived. The car was on fire. It was horrible to watch.”

Saed, a pharmacist working in a psychiatric hospital, believes Kurdish military forces were responsible for an attack that hit the hospital on 18 January.

He told Amnesty:

“We are sure that we were attacked from Afrin under the control of PKK, because we looked into the trajectory of the rocket, which we believe is Katyusha, and where it hit the hospital. The attack injured 13 female patients, of whom two are in critical condition, and one female patient was killed.

“The female section was destroyed as a result of the attack. The psychiatric facility is located next to an orphanage and another civilian hospital. There is no military presence next to the psychiatric facility and all three buildings are kilometres away from any frontline.”

Amnesty’s Digital Verification Corps geolocated and verified two videos showing the aftermath and damage to the psychiatric hospital described by Saed.

 

 

End unlawful attacks

 

In addition, a number of missiles and mortar rounds have fallen in residential areas within Turkey. The Turkish government reported that as of 5 February, seven civilians had been killed and 113 injured as a result of these attacks.

Lynn Malouf added:

“The conflict in Syria has inflicted unbearable suffering on those living there as the warring parties consistently fail to take the necessary precautions to ensure the protection of civilians. The USA, Russia and other states must use their influence to pressure the parties involved to end unlawful attacks and ensure respect for international humanitarian law.”

 

 

 

 

niWJ1nYD

Amnesty International is a non-governmental organisation focused on human rights with over 7 million members and supporters around the world. The stated objective of the organisation is “to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated.”

Editor review

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply