Not so welcome Donald Trump

July 10, 2018 OPINION/NEWS , POLITICS , UK , United States

Alisdare Hickson photo



Tom Arms



During World War Two the British used to complain about the American soldiers that “they’re over paid, over-sexed and over here.”


The same could be said about President Donald Trump when he steps off Air Force One for a flying visit to Britain on July 13.


The visit was initially meant to be a full-blown state visit complete with a procession down The Mall, an address to both houses of parliament, a state dinner, talks at Downing Street, quality time with Her Majesty the Queen and bed and breakfast at Buckingham Palace.


The problem is that the Brits thoroughly dislike Donald Trump. Not all of them. Latest opinion polls indicate that 13 percent agree with Nigel Farage that Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That still, however leaves 87 percent who have an almost visceral hatred of the man. They regard him as misogynistic, a liar, racist, ignorant, rude, crude and a danger to world peace. For once, I am counted among the majority.


For his part, Donald Trump cannot understand this dislike. He has British roots. His mother was Scottish. He has contributed to the British economy by building a “simply fantastic” golf course outside Aberdeen. More importantly he is actively backing the Brexiteers and leading the charge against the Muslim invasion of Britain.


The British don’t see things quite the same way, especially Londoners, who are usually the ones responsible for welcoming foreign heads of state. This explains why the US president is studiously avoiding the British capital. He is meeting the Queen, but not at Buckingham Palace. Instead he is being flown by helicopter to Windsor Castle. He is also being helicoptered to Chequers for his talks with Prime Minister Theresa May and then to Scotland for the obligatory game of golf. There will be no opportunity for crowds to shout abuse at the Donald as the president’s motorcade rolls past.


Protesters, however, will get some satisfaction from London Mayor Sadiq Khan’s decision to allow the launching of a giant blimp portraying a nappy-clad Donald Trump as an angry baby. Thin-skinned Trump is said to be seriously displeased.


But angry crowds will be kept well away, which is just as well for Prime Minister Theresa May. She wants Trump to leave British shores with a smile on his face and a song in his heart. If that means avoiding any nasty demonstrations then so be it. She has placed a large number of Brexit eggs in the Trump basket. The fact is that in a post-Brexit world the special relationship will be increasingly lop-sided. Britain will need America a lot more than America needs Britain.





Tom Arms

I am a journalist, entrepreneur and historian with extensive experience in print, web and broadcast journalism. I started as a diplomatic correspondent, wrote several books (The Falklands Crisis, World Elections On File and the Encyclopedia of the Cold War), and then in 1987 started my own business (Future Events News Service, which over 25 years established itself as the world and UK media’s diary. Our strapline was: “We set the world’s news agenda.” I sold FENS in December 2012 but retained the exclusive broadcast rights to all of FENS data. To exploit these rights I set up LookAhead TV which produces unique programmes which “Broadcasts Tomorrow Today” so that viewers can “Plan to Participate.” LookAhead has appeared regularly on Vox Africa, Radio Tatras International, The Conversation and Voice of Africa Radio.

In addition to being a syndicated broadcaster and columnist on global affairs, Tom is also available for speaking engagements and can be contacted on TwitterLinkedin and email[email protected].

Editor review


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.